Friday 18 October 2013

Sometimes, you are trying to focus on something, to take in a message or complete a task, and an image or word will strike a chord in your mind and start an entirely unwanted and surreal tune from which you cannot escape.  

I say 'you'.  I mean 'me'.  But maybe some of you, as well.  What do I know?  I can only here the music in my own head.

Today, I was shown a diagram which was meant to represent something idea to do with teaching.  I understood the point of the image.  Actually, no - that is a lie.  I still do not understand the point of the image.  I understood the concept which the image was meant to be representing, but the concept was about levels of thinking skills, and to show this to us the person running the course had put three words over a drawing of a fried egg.

The word 'profound' was in the middle of the yolk.

I spent the whole day thinking about the profound egg.  And waiting for the meaningful bacon and wise beans to show up.  

Now, I think in terms of metaphor and reference.  I imagine concepts as shapes and colours and actively feel them rotating in my mind as I sort them into place in my understanding.  I love analogies and keep coming up with new ones, often perfecting an extended one and sharing it with anyone who will listen.

I spent a while the other week thinking about the way we are told to think about targets in our modern work environments and using an extended metaphor of a brick with feathers attached to it being expected to perform in the same way as a fighter jet, which is to say, both would be expected to do the job of a jumbo jet.  It amused me. 

What I am saying here is that an odd image should be right up my street, but this one made no sense and (this is the bit which gets me) I think it was meant to make sense.  Being surreal is a wonderful thing (although a colleague told me today that she is one of the 'most' people who do not get me.  Thanks for that.  I don't get you, either.  I don't get most of humanity.  You are all a bit weird.  You should be more like dragons.), but it has to be deliberately surreal.  There is an art to it.  Judgments need to be made.  

If something is meant to be surreal, it should be surreal and have its own highly specific sort of logical illogic, but if something it presented as though it makes sense, and as though the metaphor links and is not mixed, the it should flaming well make sense and not be mixed.  I am not going to go into details, but this metaphor was well nigh scrambled.  

It did not, perhaps, throw the other people in the room.  I mean, I know a few found it amusing, as they laughed at it, but they possibly didn't then spend the day being distracted by the idea of profound eggs.  Wise eggs, doling out wisdom on mountaintops, after withdrawing from society to contemplate the mysteries of the universe.  But why have these eggs withdrawn?  What higher knowledge or oneness do they seek?  Do they hatch into something greater or is there very eggness and their acceptance of this the true path to ascension?  These are pressing questions, people!  

I feel very unsettled right now.  

3 comments:

  1. That is some fabulous surreal imagery. With you , me and our adopted bean child, do you think that is enough wise beans? At least for a very small casserole ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we can probably make a very small bean-person casserole with that, but will it go with profound eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only one way to find out. That is a weird juxtaposition though.

    ReplyDelete