Tuesday 17 December 2013

Wow.  It is quite some time since I posted a blog.  Where do the days go?  (My theory is that they are sucked into the open maw of a giant, time-eating worm, which hunkers just beneath the surface layer of reality, feeding on our very lives... He is called Cyril.)

In any case, I have filled the time with having a barely controlled stress-breakdown and with covering my house with reindeer.  Not real ones.  I was not allowed to bring real ones back with me from Keswick.  Damn and blast it.  I have had to settle for ornaments.

Unpacking the Christmas ornaments was an exercise in calling out 'Reindeer!  I'd forgotten about this one', but I still bought a load more in Keswick.  They are on the tree, on the light-up dead-twig tree (it's a thing - look it up.  I love me some dead trees.  So sculptural and artistic.  Tree nudes.)  There are reindeer on the window sills, hanging from the windows, along the sideboard.  I am especially pleased with my offering to the reindeer gods.


Reindeer are not limited to ornaments.  I would not be so daft as to miss out the chance to add to one of my favourite sorts of item: mugs.  A few more wouldn't go amiss, actually.  I only have four or five with reindeer on them.

All right, so there's a monkey, as well.  He is, however, one of those little monkeys which advertise tea, so that's fine.  He is the tea monkey and brings the slightly scary, greyhound-reindeer their drinks when they get thirsty.

Last, but not really least (there is no such thing as a 'least' with reindeer ornaments and so on.  Everything about reindeer season is excellent), I have finally purchased a jumper with reindeer on it.  I have had to scour the shop and buy a man's jumper, but it has the added bonus of not being made of the clingy kind of fabric which turns my hair into an approximation of a dandylion clock, so that's good, too.

6 comments:

  1. I understand the reindeer thing. I am just not allowed ornaments. Reindeer are great though. Saw some in Norway and reindeer hide is really good for colder climes as the hairs are hollow and trap air but the skin is very light. They arev also quite tasty. Obviously I like the living ones too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just keep finding more reasons for a group trip to Norway.

      Delete
  2. It's a great idea. Of course we have one person in Germany (maybe two!) one in France, one in Australia...so might be a logistical nightmare...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, your blog got a mention and link on the Penn-sters' blog: http://radiantpeni.weebly.com/links.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. Now that Christmas has started I must check that out.

    ReplyDelete